These past three months have been really stressful while I waited to see what next year would bring. But now that I have my plans locked in for next year, I am definitely going to be posting more! With little time to cook or go to the grocery store, I was living off of cereal, fruit and yogurt. It's no wonder that I was craving some vegetables today!

Chick Peas and Spinach
Background: At work, I will sometimes grab Asmar's chickpeas or hummus before I start my shift. The chick peas are prepared with lots of olive oil and lemon, a little bit of spinach and a mixture of spices. Today, I tried to make a similar meal.

Ingredients: 1 can of chick peas, washed and drained, 1/2 bag of spinach, washed, olive oil, 1/2 fresh lemon, garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper

Procedure: Saute garlic and spinach in a little bit of olive oil. Once the spinach is cooked down, add in the chick peas, and spices, to taste. Use lemon juice sparingly, as the spinach soaks it up like a sponge. It's delicious hot or cold!

What's nutritionally awesome about this meal? Chickpeas are a great source of fiber, folate and iron, with little fat and no saturated fat. Spinach is a great source of Vitamin A,C, and K and is packed full of antioxidants. Olive oil will give you a dose of healthy fats, including omega-3's. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash