A Very Minty, Green St. Patrick's Day to You!


When St. Patrick's Day comes along, I feel obligated to produce baked goods involving either green food, green food dye, or beer. This year, pinterest led me to this lovely recipe:


Green Food Dye it is! 
A lot of reviewers complained of the intense minty flavor, and at first I wondered what they were talking about. Then I realized, I used peppermint extract, instead of peppermint oil. 
The substitution is: 

1/4 teaspoon oil = 1 teaspoon extract

So basically, I only used a quarter of the amount of peppermint called for in the recipe. I'm sure I would have complained too, if I used that much peppermint! I used 3 teaspoons of peppermint extract, and I was happy with the results, but I'll post the original recipe below:



Mint Meltaway Cookie Recipe 
Makes 24 cookies

You will need:
1 cup unsalted organic butter
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 teaspoons of peppermint oil (see note above)
A few drops of green food coloring
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, peppermint oil and a few drops of green food coloring together in your mixer. Stir flour and salt together and then blend into butter mixture.

Drop dough by the teaspoonful, or roll into a ball and flatten for a cleaner look, on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. While warm, dust cookies with powdered sugar and enjoy!

Allergens: Milk, wheat, gluten
Nutrition (1 cookie): 115 calories, 8 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 3 mg potassium, 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g sugar, 1 g protein, 6% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 0% calcium, 4% iron  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash