The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part II


The last of the Tortilla Pizzas are baking in my oven, and they look spectacular! I think scallions and tomatoes are the perfect toppings for these little gems, and they toasted up very nicely. I am even considering eating one for breakfast tomorrow morning so I don't have to wait til dinnertime to enjoy them! 

Of course, I always end up tweaking the recipe a little bit when I'm making it, mostly if I'm missing ingredients. This time, I left out the chopped onion that was meant to be mixed into the refried beans. Since I only used about half of the refried beans in the can, I'm glad I skipped that step. 
Also, since the recipe makes so many servings, I'm testing the stability of the pizzas in the freezer and in the fridge. I'm always looking for new delicious leftover foods!

Honey What's Cooking? Mexican Tortilla PizzaNumber of Servings: 4 
Serving Size: 1 pizza
Ingredients
Non-stick cooking spray
8 small yellow corn tortillas
1/2 can refried beans
1/4 cup water
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend
Salsa

Directions
1. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Line a tray with foil.
3. Place 2 tortillas on a flat surface and lightly spray/brush both sides of the tortilla with non-stick cooking spray
4. Place both tortillas on the foil tray.
5. Once the oven preheats, place the tortillas in the oven for 10 minutes – 5 minutes on each side
6. Empty the contents of the refried beans into a small pot.
7. Add a 1/4 cup of water.
8. Place the pot over a stove on low-heat.
9. Add the seasonings paprika and and taco seasoning.
10. Mix the beans. Wait a couple minutes and once heated thru, turn off the stove.
11. In the meantime, chop the veggies.
12. Check on the tortillas. DON’T TURN OFF THE STOVE. See how they are crispy once baked.
13. Spread a couple dollops of beans over the tortilla.
14. Top off with a thin layer of salsa.
15. Place the second piece of tortilla on top.
16. Spread salsa again – very little.
17. Top with scallions and tomatoes.
18. Top with cheese, make sure you get the sides.
19. Using a flat ladle place the Mexican Tortilla Pizza on the foiled tray.
20. Into the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned

Allergens: Soy & Wheat (Tortilla), Milk
Nutrition (1 pizza): 350 calories, 13 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 27 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 254 ,g potassium, 5 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 16 g protein, 15% vitamin A, 15% vitamin C, 27% calcium, 20% iron, 23% folate, 17% manganese, 12% niacin, 22% phosphorous, 18% riboflavin, 25% selenium, 22% thiamin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash