Love for Legumes


I didn't have all the ingredients for the original recipe from Kitchn - "Tomato-Braised Lentils with Broccoli Rabe" - so I just made the lentil part and served them with brown basmati rice. I would have liked more tomato flavor, and I think next time, I would add more tomato paste, and even maybe some canned diced tomatoes.

This year, I'm also going to change the way I estimate cost. Since I love to shop at Aldi, and their prices are amazing, I'll be saving my receipts, and using their prices whenever I buy from them. So the prices may seem a little lower, but they are completely realistic.

Ingredients
4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups green French lentils
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
5 cloves garlic, crushed
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Sweat the onions over low heat for about 8 minutes until translucent, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the crushed garlic and cook another minutes. Add the lentils, tomato paste and a splash of the stock. Increase heat to medium and stir occasionally until stock has been absorbed. Add 2 out of the 3 tomotoes to the pan. Continue adding stock and stirring ocasionally until the lentils are just tender, about 30-45 minutes.

Add the last chopped tomato to the lentil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning when warm. Serve immediately.

Adapted from: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-tomato-braised-lentils-with-broccoli-rabe-recipes-from-the-kitchn-217116

Allergens: none (may vary depending on the stock you use)
Nutrition (1/4 recipe): 250 kcal, 15 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 11 g monounsaturated fat, 4 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 897 mg potassium, 24 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g protein, 12% vitamin A, 24% vitamin C, 22% iron, 4% calcium, 6% vitamin B-12, 17% vitamin B-6, 12% vitamin E, 24% copper, 40% folate, 12% magnesium, 48% manganese, 29% niacin, 8% pantothenic acid, 29% phosphorous, 12% riboflavin, 11% selenium, 14% thiamin, 10% zinc
Cost (1 recipe): $5.05

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash