Quarantine Baking: Lemon Poppyseed Loaf

I love poppy seeds. I love them in muffins, on bagels, and as a dessert filling. I like sprinkling them on avocado toast, and sneaking them into recipes whenever possible. Lemon poppy seed bread is just the combination of two foods that I love.

The first time I tried this recipe, it didn't seem quite lemon-y enough, but it was still a delicious breakfast to look forward to. When I went back to it two weeks later, I realized the lack of lemon was because I didn't add the lemon glaze or the syrup. So the second time around, I amped up the lemon flavor in the bread, knowing I didn't want the added sugar from the glaze. After all this is breakfast, not dessert, which I why I also switched out some of the regular flour as well. 

I want to try this recipe one more time with less wax-y lemons, and I think the flavor will really pop. Then I want to try cutting back on the sugar, and maybe add some pea protein.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly grated zest of 2 large lemons
1/2 orange zest
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup oil (vegetable, canola or olive)
1/2 lemon's juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place orange/ lemon zest, yogurt, sugar, eggs, poppy seeds, oil, lemon juice, lemon extract, milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Gently fold flour mixture into yogurt mixture until just combined. (Batter will look lumpy.)
Pour batter into pan and bake for 42 - 47 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.


Allergens: wheat, gluten, milk, egg, nuts
Nutrition (1/8 loaf): 330 calories, 17 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 51 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 133 mg potassium, 39 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 27 g sugar, 6 g protein, 3% vitamin A, 2% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 8% iron, 25% vitamin, 15% manganese, 12%phosphorous
Cost: TBD

P.S. For a blueberry loaf, replace poppy seeds with 1-1 1/2 cups of bluberries, dusted with flour to keep them from sinking in the batter (see: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/lemon-blueberry-yogurt-loaf/)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul