CSA Week 2: Swiss Chard & Salad Turnips

It's week 2 of the CSA and here's what we received:
  • 1 head broccoli
  • 1 cucumber
  • 3 heads lettuce, including 1 romaine, 1 red leaf
  • 1 bag spinach
  • 1 handful garlic scapes
  • 1 kohl rabi
  • 1 rainbow chard
  • 1 bunch of salad turnips (5-6)
  • 1 bunch of green onions (6-8)
  • 2 yellow squash
  • 3 zucchini
  • PYO basil
  • PYO strawberries
The broccoli from last week had to be frozen because we never ate it - it got blanched and bagged up on Tuesday. At the same time I steamed the swiss chard to go with some macaroni and cheese, I cooked the shelling peas leftover from last week, and I marinated some chicken for the next day's dinner. We washed all the salad greens, and I chopped up the cucumber in combination with some halved grape tomatoes.

Last night, we had a meditarranean-style chicken on a whole wheat pita, with a mix of salad greens, a sprinkling of cucumber and tomato, and a drizzle of tahini. Then I made a salad for today's lunch of salad greens, cucumber, tomato, chicken and croutons, with some tahini on the side. When I got home, I went straight to chopping up strawberries for a strawberry basil syrup, which we made into a vodka cocktail tonight.

The kohlrabi and broccoli, I left to the other couple we split the share with, so primarily I have left squash, green onions, turnips, and spinach. Maybe I'll buy some tortellini and use up my squash, along with the peppers and broccoli in the freezer for this recipe from taste of home:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheese-tortellini-primavera/. There will definitely be a turnip salad some time this week, and I still need to eat the remainder of the swiss chard.

Strawberry Basil Syrup

2 cups strawberries
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
1/4 cup water (optional)

In a pot on the stove, add the mashed or pureed strawberries, basil leaves whole, sugar and 3/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat for ten minutes. Stir occasionally.

At this point you can continue to boil down and concentrate the syrup or add the remaining cornstarch and water for a quick thickening up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul