End of Season CSA haul

 I had every intention of doing monthly CSA check in's this year, but ultimately it got away from me... again! However, I do have time today to talk about our end of season haul, and how I stretch our farm goodies for as long as possible.

First, I took 6 white onions and 5 red onions and hung them in a dark closet tied up in an old pair of panty hose. I throw in a knot between each onion to keep them separate and dry. 

Then, I did the pickling. I have been saving tomato sauce and salsa jars for pickles all year. I thinly sliced watermelon radishes, daikon radishes, carrots, and hot peppers that have accumulated over the past 2-3 weeks. I also made a mix of matchstick carrots and daikon to sprinkle on sandwiches. I sprinkled in mustard seeds, black peppercorns, garlic cloves and crushed red peppers, and then covered them in boiling hot water & vinegar, mixed with salt. I used a 1/2 gallon of vinegar, and I made 3-4 tall jars and at least 3 small jars. This was also a great way to use 2 whole heads of garlic from the farm. 

Third, I diced potatoes and boiled them in a large pot for potato salad. While they were coming to a boil, I pulled the leaves off of some week-old Swiss chard, and put them in a steam basket. The stems I chopped up and saved for later to throw in a stir fry. I found 5 heads of broccoli in various shades of brown and green. I saved the stems from the freshest broccoli to pickle later, and steamed the Swiss chard and broccoli florets to put in the freezer. 

Finally, I washed the lettuces and tomatoes. This week, we have smoked salmon, so I'm hoping to make the IKEA copycat dish of potato salad, green salad, smoked salmon and lemon dill sauce. The grape tomatoes will go great in salad and the tomatillos can be roasted to make salsa. The cabbages can also be steamed and made into egg rolls. Next week, I'll bring sweet potatoes for lunch with some honey mustard chicken, and I'll find time eventually to make another round of kohlrabi fritters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Comparing Apples to Apples: A Fall Series