"23° F Snow/Blowing Snow" and We Make Cake!

After my last post, I decided to be very selective in picking my next recipe - a yellow cake. Food Network had nothing resembling a basic yellow cake, while All Recipes had dozens of versions that were all just slightly different! After looking through reviews, I could not find a yellow cake recipe that did not have at least five reviews claiming it tasted like cornbread and five more who found it dry and tasteless. I ended up searching for Butter Cake instead, and chose a recipe that achieved a rating of 4.5 out of 5 with 100 reviews. Still on my guard for cornbread character and dry, tastelessness, I read through the reviews. Several people suggested adding an extra egg or egg yolk, so I added an egg yolk. At least one person suggested doubling the vanilla and I figured - why not? With the cupcakes ready to bake, my roommate and I had a last-minute urge to add food coloring and you can see the results....Personally, I think it looks like a griffin or a pegasus or something, but I may just have a creative imagination.


The cupcakes cooked up really fast actually - after about 20 minutes.  The loaf pan, meanwhile, is still in the oven. It is way past the 55 minutes that was prescribed, and the knife is not coming out clean. That said, I live in a college apartment with a poor quality stove, so it should not be surprising. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash