When in Canada, eh?

Kensington Market, Toronto, ON
I just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - a great book about one family's year of eating local foods - so naturally, when I arrived at Kensington Market in Toronto, I was excited to buy produce grown in Canada. Not only did I find local produce, I found something cool and new that I have never seen before at home - yellow plums! They are more tart than our red plums, which makes them great for baking! (See the Plum Primer.) This recipe comes from none other than Canadianliving.com. When I get home, I wonder if I could adjust down the sugar and use this recipe with sweeter plums. 
Ingredients:
3 cups (750 mL) quartered pitted red or yellow plums or pluots, (about 2 lb/1 kg)
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 lemon
1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves

Preparation:
Place plums and sugar in saucepan. Using vegetable peeler, peel off strips of lemon rind; add to saucepan.
Squeeze lemon to make 1 tbsp (15 mL) juice; add to saucepan along with cinnamon and cloves. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until plums are tender, about 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash