CSA Week 9: Carrots & Tomatoes

This week from the farm:

- Beets
- Carrots
- Zucchini
- Yellow squash
- Salad greens
- Cucumbers
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Baby tomatoes
- Kale

It must be peak tomato season because we got almost 3 lb of tomatoes, plus the ones we picked ourselves. I bought green peppers today to make a traditional Andalusian gazpacho with cucumbers, tomatoes, and garlic from the CSA.

I am still getting way more zucchini than I know what to do with. A week or so ago, I roasted the squash in wedges with chunks of onion and made sandwiches with hummus and the roasted beets, tomato, and cucumber - I guess I will have to have repeat performance!

The carrots were also accumulating in the fridge (I had about 2 weeks worth) so I decided to blanch and freeze them for later. I will definitely appreciate them next time I make stew.

I only got 2 beets this week, but it was just the right amount to steam, slice and pickle with garlic and crushed red peppers.

Spicy Pickled Beets

1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of sea salt
1 large steamed beet, sliced
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Heat the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.

Add the chopped beets, garlic, and red pepper flakes to a jar. Cover with the vinegar, mixture, seal, and allow beets to cool to room temperature.

Refrigerate at least overnight before serving. Store pickled beets in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul