It seems as though I am on an Italian streak. I have been making so much pasta lately, and one of my favorites is Baked Ziti. But this time, I am going to make it healthy BEFORE I make it. The recipes is as follows:

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

My first issue is the sour cream, I probably would skip that all together. In my experience, oil, butter and sour cream can be cut in half, if not taken out entirely. I am not sure how I feel about the ground beef either, aside from the fact that it is almost impossible to buy on campus. So...this may recipe may have to be on hold till I can find a subsitution for the ground beef...I'll think about it...

Later in the week...

I officially have though about it, and I decided I am going to not use any meat at all. I can always have some on the side, or add it in, but my roommate is vegetarian and I need her to help me with leftovers :) The Food Network suggests putting Crushed Red Peppers, and Fresh Basil and Thyme, so I have to remember to put those in. I am making the Ziti tomorrow, so I will post nutrition for my end product then.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash