Mission Tomato Part II

Attempt #1

Recipe: Barefoot Contessa's Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

Servings: 5 to 6

Number of Grilled Cheeses so Far: 1

I heard that this recipe was really delicious and amazing, and since one of my main goals is to make a healthier creamy tomato soup, it seemed appropriate. I did not do much modification, I just didn't add any sugar, and used half as much heavy cream. And trust me, half was more than enough, just the 3 fluid ounces I used gave it a creamy appearance (and presentation is half the battle, right?). However, it also did not turn out the best that it could have. I do not own a food mill, the necessary tool to puree such a large amount of soup, and using our tiny food processor seemed quite tedious, so I ended up with a rather chunky cream of tomato soup. Although, the positive side of a chunky tomato soup is that it is great for dunking grilled cheese in. A large portion of the recipe is in my fridge waiting to be leftovers, and I am curious to see how it holds up, because quality of leftovers is an important factor to consider when recipes make 5-6 servings!

Next on the agenda, I will give the Barefoot Contessa one last chance to prove herself by making her Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup, which uses plum tomatoes and has no cream or sugar. (I may even invest in a food mill - it's only $30 from Target)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

End of Season CSA haul