Dad's Salmon

The bitter cold outside makes for long afternoons full of talking about celebrities, books and recipes. At 3:30, chicken and dumplings was proposed, before we realized that we had to cook a whole chicken for an hour. Looking at some of the recipes I collected from Real Simple Magazine, we decided on Salmon. But since I was cooking for both my brother and I, we tried to replicate one of my Dad's favorite recipes.
My Dad is very health conscious, so instead of 1/2 cup of butter, he coats the fillets with the spice blend and uses buttery cooking spray.
I also made a Citrus-Scented Rice with Fresh Basil from Southern Living Magazine, which was delicious! It was nothing fancy or special, but it is one of those uncomplicated recipes that is just GOOD.
I have never cooked Salmon before, so it was a little dried out on the thinner parts, but overall I was satisfied.
Citrus-Scented Rice with Fresh Basil

Ingredients:
-2 cups chicken broth
-2 Tbsp butter (I omitted the butter, and it was still yummy!)
-1 Tbsp orange zest
-2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
-1 tsp lemon zest
-1 cup basmati rice
-3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil

Preparation:
-Stir together chicken broth, butter, orange zest, orange juice, and lemon zest in a large saucepan
-Bring to a boil over high heat
-Stir in 1 cup uncooked basmati rice; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed
-Stir in 3 Tbsp basil, garnish with orange and lemon slices

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash