New to the Repertoire: Carrot Ginger Soup

Ginger, Vegetables, Food
We have been stocking up in case we have to quarantine for weeks. Last Friday, I told my boyfriend I would stop by Haymarket and the grocery store after work to pick up a few more things. When I came home, I found that I had brought soft corn tortillas, he bought hard taco shells. I bought a crispy french baguette, he bought a loaf of everything bread. I bought 5 lbs of carrots, he bought baby carrots.

I tucked the 5 lbs of carrots away in the back of the fridge, hoping they would stay good for a while. And a week later, there is not a can of soup to be found on the shelves, so I am making my own carrot ginger soup in case we end up sick in bed pretty soon.

Ingredients

2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cup chopped yellow onions
8 garlic cloves, smashed
4 heaping cups chopped carrots
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 tablespoons white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
Sea salt and fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste (optional)
coconut milk for garnish, optional
dollops of pesto, optional

Instructions

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves (they’ll get blended later) and chopped carrots to the pot and cook about 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the ginger, then add the white wine, and then add the broth. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add maple syrup, if desired.
Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and/or a dollop of pesto, if desired.

Allergens: none
Nutrition:
Cost:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul