New to the Repertoire: Sesame tofu snow peas


A few weeks ago, I discovered this amazing produce market in Watertown. I don't think I've ever been to a proper market that was over 50% just fresh produce. It was the sort of the place that if you wanted some exotic vegetable and didn't know where to get it, you always knew you could go there.

I was excited to be there, but also was trying to not go overboard. So, when I saw some good-looking snow peas, I picked out a few, but not too many. I figured they would just end up in a stir-fry or something. But a few days later, they still had not been cooked, and I found this recipe from chowhound that was well-suited to what I had on hand.

My boyfriend's only complaint? I didn't make enough. It looks like I'll have a chance to make it for him again since snow peas are just coming into season.

Ingredients
1/8 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoons red wine
1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound firm tofu, patted dry and cut into large dice
8 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 pound snow peas
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds

Instructions

1. Whisk together soy sauce, wine, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small, nonreactive bowl; set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. When it smokes, add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and garlic and cook until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add snow peas and sesame seeds and cook, stirring frequently, until peas are bright green, slightly softened, yet still crisp, about 5 minutes. Add reserved tofu and soy sauce mixture and cook just until tofu is warm and sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute more. Serve immediately over steamed rice.

Allergens: soy, gluten
Nutrition (1/2 recipe, without rice): 255 calories, 18 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 325 mg potassium, 16 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 10 g protein, 42% vitamin A, 37% vitamin C, 15% iron, 82% calcium
Cost (1 recipe): $4.40
Season: Late Winter/ Early Spring

Adapted from: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/spicy-snow-pea-and-sesame-stir-fry-18784

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul