Quiche, an Old Favorite for Entertaining


The coronavirus is becoming more and more real every day. People are starting to practice "social distancing", and we have accepted that we probably shouldn't go out in crowds anymore. So instead of going to our friend's party tomorrow and watching Boston's St. Patrick's day parade. We will be sharing brunch with an intimate group tomorrow morning. I volunteered to make quiche, because it is the easiest way to consume eggs with a crowd, and I can at least make sure there are vegetables involved.

I originally wanted to do a red onion & gruyere combo, which I still think would be good. But I had a block of Manchego already in the house, so I added red peppers to go with the more Spanish vibe. I normally don't shy away from whole eggs, but I had egg whites already, so I figured I would stretch my small egg supply.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 red onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cup shaved Manchego cheese
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup unflavored soy milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-9" pastry shell

DIRECTIONS
Bake frozen pie shell in 375°F oven for six minutes and allow to cool. Saute peppers and onions in 1/2 Tbsp olive oil until they start to brown. Spread vegetable mixture over pie crust. Shave cheese over vegetables. Beat together eggs, milk, lemon juice, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over vegetable and cheese mixture. Bake 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Allergens: Wheat, egg, soy, milk
Nutrition info (1/6 slice): 280 calories, 17 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 135 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 295 mg potassium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 11 g protein, 70% vitamin A, 12% vitamin B-12, 16% vitamin D, 21% calcium, 16% folate, 20% phosphorous, 20% riboflavin
Cost (1 pie): TBD

P.S. I used the second pie crust to make a bacon, onion and cheddar version. I cooked 10 oz of bacon until crisp, then sauteed 1 chopped onion in some of the remaining bacon grease, and added some shredded cheddar in layers. The possibilities for quiche are endless! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

End of Season CSA haul