Cooking for one = Cooking for leftovers

Can I first say that it is great to be back in a kitchen I can call my own? Even working 40 hours a week, I've cooked and baked more in the past two weeks than I did all summer. Having a consistent schedule really helps, along with a few easy strategies.

1) Make meals on the weekends for the week... this feta and summer squash orzo with feta cheese and
basil was the first dinner of my internship. I had no idea how I would feel after my first day and I was grateful for anything I could throw in the microwave and eat. Luckily, I had gotten to the grocery store that weekend. Unluckily, the squash was less than fresh after a day in the fridge. Live and learn.
2) If you can't cook for tonight, cook for tomorrow... I also bought chicken that week, which needed to be cooked pronto. When I got home hungry the next night, I popped a frozen dinner in the fridge, and once I was fed, I figured out what to do with all that chicken. I ended up making my own breadcrumbs and using an egg and flour wash before cooking it in the oven. It took some time, so it's a good thing I didn't wait to eat! The next night I reheated the chicken in the oven with some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese on top, but it would also be good on a bun with some good honey mustard sauce, or my favorite, J.T Pappy's Gator Sauce.
3) If you can cook, make leftovers... sausage is one food I have a weakness for... it adds flavor to so many dishes, it keeps well, and there are so many interesting varieties. I normally get turkey sausage, but this past weekend, I found Italian chicken sausage with mozzarella cheese and I had to try it! I ended up on the Johnsonville sausage website looking for recipes and I found one with broccoli, onions, garlic, tomato, Italian sausage and pasta. I had to adapt it a little to use chunky tomato sauce instead of tomatoes, but it was still a great meal and it kept well even two days later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash