Lemon Perfection


I have a habit of picking up unusual baking supplies at the grocery store, just because I have never seen them before. Almond paste, poppy seed filling, dutch process cocoa, orange and lemon extracts have all caught my eye on one occasion or another. But of course I always forget the essentials. Without baking powder, unsalted butter or confectioner's sugar, I resorted to a lemon sugar cookie to fulfill my sugar craving. Compared to other untested recipes I've tried, this recipe was pretty successful. But I think they would be even better with a lemon icing or a lemon glaze, or even just some colorful icing on top! 
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup butter, softened 
    1/2 cup and 1 teaspoon sugar 
    1/2 egg 
    1-1/2 teaspoons milk 
    1 teaspoon lemon extract 
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
    1-1/4 cups and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 
    1/2 teaspoon salt 
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
    Additional sugar 
    Directions
    In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Comparing Apples to Apples: A Fall Series