I have had the same school bag for about two years now and it is showing its age. I think Vera Bradley bags are so cute and fun, but the problem is that I keep wearing them out. The foam is popping out of the shoulder straps where they rub against my shoulder and the outside pocket is falling apart from my butt rubbing against my iPod inside. Well, I just so happened to be at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival with my cousin and she said I should knit my own bag. I found this amazing brilliant turquoise wool that I want to use; I just need a pattern. My cousin even offered to show me how to felt it so it would hold up better to my heavy abuse. The only problem is that I need a pattern. So many patterns are for purses or do not have enough space for all my books. If I am going to knit a bag, it better be practically perfect in every way. Whatever pattern I choose to follow, I will most certainly have to add pockets all around the inside of the bag because that is what I love about Vera Bradley's bags.

Pignoli Bag
Pros: It is big and easy
Cons: No flat bottom, possibly awkward to wear

Toshiko Tote
Pros: It is big and very easy. Knit in the round, which I like :)
Cons: I doubt the handles on this bag will hold up to my abuse

BYOB Mesh Bag
Pros: Big enough for groceries should be big enough for me, pretty
Cons: The handle looks nonexistent

I also really like some of the patterns from Black Sheep Bags, but I would have to track down a store that sells them. The Sophie Bag looks so simple and sophisticated, and only uses one 1 skein. They advertise the Elizabeth Bag as larger and more sophisticated than the Sophie, so how can I go wrong?

I hate how so many pattern samples are in colors like neon yellow and hot pink, or even worse a multicolored yarn with several colors that make me want to scream. It is okay to have a matching hat and scarf in one of those colors, but does anyone really want this bright blue and green pillow in their grown-up living room with matching poofs? I thought this pillow was only lewd by accident, but it was totally on purpose. (See Blog Post) .

As soon as school ends in three weeks, I am going to have to dig up all my knitting needles because I can't wait to try out so many patterns! I can't wait to try my hand at pillows, hats, evening clutches and finally a durable school bag!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash