The Adventures of Spaghetti, Butternut and Acorn Squash - Part 2

In my excitement over the beginning of the squash season, I decided to buy a pound and a half of pre-cut butternut squash. I definitely overestimated my squash needs, but now I get to make Lauren and Mary's Pumpkin-Butternut Squash Risotto! They served it at their fall-themed theme meal, along with roasted acorn squash and a pork stew. Everything was delicious, and since I only got to try a bite of the risotto, I was excited to make it for my self with the scaled-down version of the recipe. Unfortunately, mass-produced meals don't scale down well, so there was some guess work involved. It definitely tasted different from the original meal, but I thought it benefited from a dash of salt. 
Ingredients:
How can you beat this 300 calorie lunch with 8 grams of fiber?
1/2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
5 fl oz pumpkin, pureed
2/3 cup, onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
4 3/4 cups water
1 Tbsp vegetable broth
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp basil leaves
1/2 oz cream cheese
black pepper, to taste
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine broth, rice, water, butternut squash, pumpkin puree, and onion in a baking dish. Add pepper, stir.
3. Cover with foil and bake, stirring occasionally especially towards the end, until water is absorbed and rice is puffed, about 45-50 minutes. (My oven took over an hour, but it is cheap and old).
4. Remove from oven, stir in parmesan cheese, cream cheese and basil. Serve.
Allergens: Milk
Nutrition: 293 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 394 mg potassium, 65 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 7 g protein, 267% vitamin A, 26% vitamin C, 10% calcium, 8% iron

9:30 pm Update: We finally found the original recipe this was based on from Aida Mollenkamp. The biggest difference is that she uses only broth, and I used mostly water. Oops. http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/aida-mollenkamp/creamy-baked-pumpkin-risotto-recipe/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash