The End of Eagerly Eating Endless Eggs

I'm on my third carton of eggs in six weeks, and today I began to wonder if this is a healthy trend. Between 2 quiches, a batch of lemon bars and some scrambled eggs here and there, I have used gone through 21 eggs. Not to mention the hard boiled eggs I eat at work, the egg whites in my favorite spinach feta wraps at Starbucks and the fried eggs going into my Au Bon Pain breakfast sandwiches. I have given myself a little too much wiggle room these past couple weeks, and my scale knows it. So after I finish the quiche that is baking in my oven right now, I am going to switch to egg whites and re-focus on lowering the fat and cholesterol in all parts of my diet. It also means that I am going to work hard to curb my cravings for cookies and sweets, and go for the fruit instead.
Just this week, I decided to slice up some very ripe bananas and freeze them and they were such a great snack. I am stocked up on my favorite Greek yogurt, and my pantry is stocked with healthy options. Now, I just have to put in the effort and make it happen! 
Oh, but if you wanted that spinach quiche recipe, here it is. It's really just for special occasions, but it is a nice treat and makes for great leftovers! It is pretty similar to the recipe from two weeks ago with a few modifications.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and blotted
1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
4 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-9" pastry shell (I used a frozen shell from whole foods by wholly wholesome naturally wholicious)

DIRECTIONS
Bake frozen pie shell in 375°F oven for six minutes and allow to cool. Saute garlic in 1/2 Tbsp olive oil until it starts to brown. Add spinach and cook until heated through. Sprinkle cheese on spinach, stir until melted and spread spinach mixture over pie crust. Beat together eggs, milk, lemon juice, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over spinach mixture. Bake 35-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Allergens: Wheat, egg, dairy
Nutrition info (1/6 slice): 280 calories, 17 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 135 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 295 mg potassium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 11 g protein, 70% vitamin A, 12% vitamin B-12, 16% vitamin D, 21% calcium, 16% folate, 20% phosphorous, 20% riboflavin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe Re-do: Morning Glory Muffins

The Tortilla Pizza Face-Off Part I

Week 18: Mire poix and Winter squash