Whenever I'm looking for new recipes, I always tell my husband, "it's all about the ratios". I was immediately optimistic about this recipe because of its Mediterranean flavors, and excellent veggie to starch ratio. I always teach "make half your plate vegetables", and I feel like this recipe accomplishes that, even in a soup format. Let's look at the breakdown: 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots = 1 1/2 servings chopped vegetables 4 cups raw spinach = 2 servings leafy greens 4-5 scallions = 1 serving chopped vegetables 1 cup cilantro = 1/2 serving leafy greens / 4 servings of vegetable 2 servings of pasta 16 oz protein 1 serving vegetable : 1/2 serving grains : 4 oz protein And in fact the ratio of protein: carbs: fat is 29 g: 29 g: 10 g. I couldn't be happier with the macros. Plus it is baby girl approved! Moroccan meatball soup Ingredients Puree 1 bunch of green onions 1 cup fresh cilantro Meatballs 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey 1 large egg, lightly bea...
While it's still fresh on my mind, I wanted to put down some of my thoughts on weaning. The oxford dictionary defines weaning as: “[to] accustom (an infant or other young mammal) to food other than its mother's milk.” Weaning starts with the first introduction of solids, and ends with the last nursing session, so it can be a gradual, multi-year process. A lot of women give a negative connotation to weaning, but I would argue it is just one beautiful transition among many. 4-6 months My husband was home with the baby during most of this time, but when we transitioned to daycare, we sent 4 bottles totaling 15 fl oz of breast milk (3.5 fl oz, 3.5 fl oz, 4 fl oz, & 4 fl oz). The first two weeks, she was only drinking 8-12 fl oz at most as she adjusted to her new environment. 6-8 months We only did 1 meal per day for the first 4-5 weeks, so my little one had that one meal with us at home. The daycare asked for more milk, but I told them I couldn't send more than 15 fl oz. Ar...
I thought I would give an update to baby's first foods, and talk a little bit more about the transition to solids now that some time has passed. There are so many micro-transitions in these first two years and it is shocking where we were even a few months ago. This graphic is a great example - a year ago I was focused on introducing new foods separately to test for allergens, but now I rarely think about whether our little one has eaten a particular food before. I did think she might have a lentil allergy for a few months, but also I just got caught up in the chaos and didn't really get a chance to test it out again until many months later. As I look at this list, I am happy that I found a balance of offering fresh foods, while still keeping my sanity with the occasional pre-made food. It almost felt like a puzzle trying to piece together how I was going to provide these foods in age appropriate ways. Foods like hummus (chickpea, tahini), pesto (pine nut), and yogurt (milk...
Comments
Post a Comment